about Jeffrey W. Ganthner
Proven and well diversified professional expertise leading teams and organizations in the architecture, engineering, construction and technolgy industries. Jeffrey casts the vision for innovative thought, leadership, and solutions. He has led a distinguished and diverse career as an architect, engineer, designer, entrepreneur, and business leader. His constant pursuit for the better idea pushes those around him to perform at a higher level. He delivers a creative and comprehensive perspective on the issues and problems impacting businesses today. He provides a unique perspective that challenges teams to achieve success for their clients. Simply put, he knows how to start, develop, and lead profitbale, client serving businesses.
Additionally, Jeffrey is experienced in project leadership and management for various project delivery methods, including conventional design-bid-build, design-build, fully integrated design-build, and construction management. As a licensed architect, he has successfully designed and executed projects from the planning and programming phases through construction and close-out. With a specific focus on planning, programming and conceptual design, he actively leads the design approach for the team that delivers successful designs. This approach is a fact-finding driven planning and design workshop or charrette. He developed and utilizes the proven L.E.A.D. model for client and team interaction which stands for Listen, Engage, Activate and Deliver.
Mission Statement: Liberate Greatness by transforming people and organizations through leadership.
Education Master of Science in Civil Engineering, Virginia Tech, May 1996 Option: Construction Management; Thesis Title: A Master Builder Approach (Organizational Modeling) Bachelor of Architecture, Virginia Tech, May 1995 Five Year Professional Degree with Thesis Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Virginia Tech, December 1994 Course concentrations in structural design and construction management Professional Registrations Registered Architect: AL, CT, DE, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, MI, MO, MS, NC, NH, NJ, NY, NV, OH, PA, RI, SC, and VA Professional Organizations
Master of Science in Civil Engineering, Virginia Tech, May 1996
Option: Construction Management; Thesis Title: A Master Builder Approach (Organizational Modeling)
Bachelor of Architecture, Virginia Tech, May 1995
Five Year Professional Degree with Thesis
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Virginia Tech, December 1994
Course concentrations in structural design and construction management
Registered Architect: AL, CT, DE, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, MI, MO, MS, NC, NH, NJ, NY, NV, OH, PA, RI, SC, and VA
- American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC-VA) – Board Member
- American Institute of Architects - Member
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards - Member
Principal and General Manager, Mid-Atlantic Region Burns & McDonnell, Chesapeake, VA 2010 to Present
Launched from the ground up and leads an 85-person full service architectural and engineering professional practice. This consistently profitable operation with design professional service revenues of $32 Million per year (construction value of approximately $600 Million) serves clients nationwide through three primary offices located in Chesapeake, VA (Hampton Roads), Roanoke, VA and Arlington, VA (Washington, DC). The Mid-Atlantic Region is the newest regional office for Burns & McDonnell. Complete organizational, profit/loss, design and management responsibilities. Serves as one of three architectural design Principals for the firm nationwide. Primary clients: Federal, DoD, Manufacturing, Higher Education, and Commercial.
Division Manager (General Manager) AECOM, Virginia Beach, VA and Roanoke, VA 2007-2010
Successfully turned around a struggling 70-person full service architectural and engineering professional practice in less than a year. After starting as a Project Manager, I was asked to transfer and provide leadership for the struggling Virginia Beach, VA office. By increasing sales, revenue, and profits along with improving organizational health through recruiting and training, this office developed into a thriving practice of strong design and happy clients. Complete organizational, profit/loss, design and management responsibilities. Chairman of the AECOM Joint Business Council for Hampton Roads (a 200-person group) charged with collaborating and linking different business practices within AECOM throughout the region. Primary Clients: Federal, DoD, Higher Education.
Director of Operations, Roanoke Office RRMM Architects, Roanoke, VA 2005-2007
Day to day responsibility for the operations, management and performance of a 20-person architectural office. The office almost doubled in size during my tenure with consistent profits because of a successful and transformative organizational change plan. In addition, I served clients directly as a Project Manager and Design Architect in K-12, Seniors Design, Commercial, and Institutional projects.
President and Owner Vision Point Systems, Inc. Blacksburg, VA 2003-2005
Led Vision Point Systems during its formative early years as a start-up company located within the Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center. Without venture capital or acquiring debt, it grew from a one person to a 16-person, diversified and profitable technology/business solutions company. Successfully sold partial ownership in 2005.
Senior Project Manager and Associate SFCS, Inc., Roanoke, VA 2001-2003
Responsible for sales, project leadership, team organization, design, and profitability of projects. In addition, served as the Engineering department manager. Primary Clients: Seniors Design, Healthcare, and Commercial.
HSMM (now AECOM), Roanoke, VA 1997-2001 Lead designer and architect for feasibility studies, planning, conceptual design, and construction documents for clients with projects in Federal, DoD, Higher Education, Commercial and Institutional. Primary client served was the Smithsonian Institution. Developed the firm’s website and led the on-line marketing efforts.
Architectural Engineer and Graduate Assistant 1995 -1997 TransCon Consulting, Richmond, VA and Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
Developed, maintained, and analyzed construction project schedules and provided litigation support for construction contractors. Assisted with the Development of TransCon XPosition software for linear scheduling. Developed TransCon’s website and was the firm’s designer for residential single-family projects.
- Leadership Studies: Avid student, writer and teacher on leadership and organizational development.
- Design Pursuits LLC (1997 to present): Entity established to launch ideas and projects which relate to
- technology, business, design and organizational development. Projects include: About.com, eBidCentral,
- Vision Point Systems, LeadershipHunt.com.
- Youth Development: This includes teaching a Design 101 Class at the High School level, coaching youth
- soccer, and mentoring youth through leadership and Faith based activities.
- P91 Mission: Board member for a not-for-profit organization supporting persons with cancer.
- LifeThrive Leadership and Consultant Certification 2018
- Regent University Executive Leaderships Series 2009-2018
- Regent University LMOL 606 Class (Strategic Thinking, Planning and Organizational Change) 2012
- Crestcom Bulletproof Manager Training 2009
- PSMJ: Reducing Risks & Negotiating Projects 2008, Financial Management Boot Camp 2002, Project
- Management Boot Camp 2001
- The Management Institute – Executive Training – Roanoke College Spring 2005
- Business Accounting – Roanoke Higher Education Center Fall 2004
- Leadership Roanoke Valley – Roanoke Regional Chamber of Commerce 2003 -2004
- Guest Lecturer on Leadership and Business – Regent University 2015, 2016 2017, and 2018
- Virginia Best Places to Work for Burns & McDonnell – Large Business 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018
- Best Place to Work for Millennials for Burns & McDonnell 2015
- DBIA National Award of Merit for the Rolls Royce Advanced Aerofoil and Machining Facility 2014
- ACEC Award of Merit for the Rolls Royce Advanced Aerofoil and Machining Facility 2014
- Best Place to Work in Hampton Roads for AECOM 2009
- NewVA Corridor Technology Council Emerging Star Award for Vision Point Systems 2004
- Speaker at the 2003 AEC Technology Strategies Conference Washington, DC
- CE News Published Article – April 2002 How Your Firm Can Profit from the Internet
- Speaker at the 2001 AEC Technology Strategies Conference Chicago, IL
- Zweig Letter Published Article – December 2001 – Developing Master Builders
- Zweig Letter Feature – December 2000 for achievements serving the AEC industry with About.com
Get in touch with Jeffrey
Jeffrey W. Ganthner, AIA, NCARB
1450 Vance Circle,
Chesapeake, VA 23320